August 28, 2020
TDK SmartBug (MD-42688-P) is a multi-sensor wireless module that leverages TDK’s MEMS sensors and algorithms for a wide range of IoT applications.
This module combines six sensors, a powerful wireless (BLE) MCU, seven algorithm driven features and a rechargeable battery, in a small enclosure. It also comes with the option of an Add-On board that includes a WiFi module, an SD card slot and an ultrasonic sensor from TDK.
It is the go-to-module for quick and easy access to reliable and smart sensor data. The data from each sensor and algorithm can be accessed “Out-of-Box” without the need for any programming, soldering or extra modifications. This makes it a perfect enabler for IoT product developers, algorithm developers and sensor data enthusiasts to better understand real application signatures, environment variations and multi-sensor/algorithm behaviors.
It includes ICM-42688-P 6-axis IMU, ICP-10100 pressure sensor with humidity sensor, temperature sensor, magnetic sensor and an optional CH-101 ultrasonic sensor from TDK, creating an All-in-one sensor solution. A unique feature of this module is the provision of smart sensor data from IoT sensor algorithms with customized tuning parameters. The algorithms include Door Open/Close Detect, 6 and 9-axis sensor fusion, Asset Monitoring, HVAC Filter Monitoring, Pedometer, Activity classification, Gestures and Air Mouse Monitoring.
The SmartBug data and outputs can be easily visualized, streamed and recorded on a Windows 10 Application – SmartBug. This application is available for free to download on the Microsoft Store. The application offers great flexibility to acquire data from BLE, WiFi or USB, depending on the use-case. SD card logging feature in addition allows autonomous logging of data (upto 32GB) without any Windows 10 Application.
- All-In-One Sensor Module including a combination of sensors and algorithms
- Out-of-Box Solution
- Pre-programmed. No soldering or programming needed.
- Dedicated source of raw and intelligent sensor data
- Small size lets you stick this module almost anywhere
- BLE, USB, WiFi and SD data logging
- Reliable and quality data from highperformance sensors and algorithms
- Over the Air (OTA) Firmware upgrade
- Visualization Software available
- Optional Add-On Board adds WiFi, SD card and an ultrasonic range sensor
Collect smart sensor data from Smart Home applications such as a smart door lock, smart window lock or HVAC filter.
Stick the SmartBug on home appliances such as Robotic Vacuum Cleaner or Smart Washing Machine and start gathering smart appliance data.
Monitor patient movement, taking advantage of the data visualization tools and sensor fusion for accurate analysis.
Use the motion, pressure, magnetometer, temperature and humidity sensors for monitoring the condition of an asset.
Get the most out of the data gathered by the 6-Axis IMU and the Air Mouse feature to map the movement of an Air Mouse or Smart TV remote accurately in 2D space.
The go-to module for quick and easy access to reliable and smart sensor data. It’s the perfect enabler for IoT product developers, algorithm developers, and sensor data enthusiasts to better understand real application signatures, environment variations, and multi-sensor/algorithm behaviors.
The ultimate add-on to the ultimate all-in-one. Packing not only WiFi and SD card support to help you transmit and store your SmartBug data, but also includes the industry-first MEMS-based Ultrasonic Time-of-Flight Range Sensor, the Chirp Microsystems CH101.
Windows 10 Application
All sensor data and output can be visualized, streamed and recorded on the SmartBug Windows 10 Application. The Windows 10 work environment provides a secure, familiar, and powerful eco-system to analyze and collect data from your SmartBug.
SOFTWARE FEATURES & BENIFITS
The software features of the module can be accessed from the SmartBug Windows 10 Application. Each feature offers both output visualization and data logging from multiple sensors and algorithms:
- Sensor Data: Raw sensor data streaming and logging with configurable FSR and ODR.
- Sensor Fusion: Detects orientation accurately with 6-axis and 9-axis sensor fusion using advanced calibration. Enables logging Quaternion, Yaw, pitch and roll outputs.
- Smart Door Lock: 6-axis IMU detects if door is in open or close state (< 3-degree accuracy). Enables logging angle output and open/close states.
- Asset Monitoring: 6-axis IMU, pressure, magnetometer, temperature and humidity sensor monitor the condition of an asset with configurable thresholds and provide event outputs such as Freefall, Shock, Magnetic Change etc. Enables logging event history.
- HVAC filter Monitoring: Two Pressure sensors accurately measure the ΔPressure and show alerts based on ΔP thresholds. Enables logging of differential pressure data.
- Air Mouse: 6-axis IMU maps the movement of an Air Mouse.
- APEX Outputs: 6-axis IMU provides Tap, Tilt, Raise to Wake, Pedometer, WOM outputs.
- Over the Air (OTA) Firmware upgrade: Upgrade the firmware on the SmartBug using the OTA FW upgrade feature available on the SmartBug Application.
- Multiple Options for Data Acquisition: Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), USB, WiFi, SD Card
Nordic Semiconductor’s partnership with Arm began in the summer of 2012 when Nordic re-defined the Bluetooth Low Energy market with the launch of its nRF51 Series of Systems-on-Chips (SoCs). For the first time, these chips uniquely separated the wireless...
Robustel are pleased to announce our first 5G Industrial IoT router – the R5020, offering support for global 5G, 4G and 3G bands with support for 3GPP Release 15. With its on-board smarts, compact size and a competitive price point the R5020 is the perfect solution...
The 4th Generation of Best-in-Class Humidity Sensing In line with Sensirion’s industry-proven humidity and temperature sensors, the SHT40 offers the best price-performance ratio. Tape and reel packaging combined with suitability for standard SMD assembly processes...
Stay Up to Date With The Latest News & Updates
Join Our Newsletter
Join our monthly newsletter for the latest updates in the electronics industry